“The Most Worshipful Prince Hall Grand Lodge, Free and Accepted Masons, Maryland and Jurisdiction, Incorporated is a fraternal organization dedicated to the fatherhood of God and the brotherhood of man. Our fraternal organization takes good men, builds and develops them, to be better men. We dispense charity, promote good and solid family values and endeavor significantly to aid in the uplifting of humanity.”
"Our vision is focused on community stewardship, activities to benefit society, and a commitment to building Brotherhood making Prince Hall Masonry in Maryland sustainable, while inculcating and exercising the Principle Tenets (Brotherly Love, Relief, and Truth) by our words and actions for the betterment of our brothers and all mankind."
Saint John’s Lodge #5 was set apart in Baltimore, Maryland and issued its first warrant on April 12, 1848. This was organized under the direction of the honorable James A. Handy, Most Worshipful Grand Master at that time. This Warrant was signed by the grand lodge officers and the Grand Secretary, Right Worshipful William E. Wilks, assisted the Grand Master in the declaration that Saint John’s Lodge #5 would be able to operate, under the Most Worshipful Prince Hall Grand Lodge of Maryland and its Jurisdiction, as a full constituent lodge. The first District Deputy Grand Master was Right Worshipful Causman H. Gaines. The first Worshipful Master of this lodge was Brother George Myers. His elected staff included Brothers John W. Leways (First Senior Warden) and Joseph Tilghman (First Junior Warden).
The first meeting for Saint John’s Lodge #5 was held at the Douglass Institute located at 11 East Lexington Street (the old number for the current 210). The Douglass Institute, named for Fredrick Douglass, hosted countless meetings of organizations promoting African American causes. Post 7 of the Grand Army of the Republic and the Order of Odd Fellows used the hall, as did black leaders of the Republican Party. These leaders met in the Institute and organized efforts to open schools for blacks, to have black teachers hired by the city, and to meet the black community's other needs. The warrant was reissued on September 12, 1876.